Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Ferodo Bridge

Not many ads can run every day for decades without getting boring but this one’s pulled it off. Every time I pass it I get a special warm feeling, a bit like weeing in a wetsuit.
At first I thought this one at Camden Road Station was the only one. Then I noticed another one on Caledonian Road.


A few weeks later, I saw another Ferodo bridge on a trip to Devon (don’t remember where, I was trying to focus every remaining working part of my brain on staying awake).
First of all, how in the world did they buy that bit of media? Because it seems like they’ve got it for life.
Secondly, I think it really works as an ad. The medium says everything you’d want – these brake pads ain’t going anywhere my friend, we’ll run and run.
And the brand has a special place in lots of hearts, not just mine. Its name has become part of the local lexicon. “Go down the hill til you see the Ferodo bridge and the station’s on your right my good man.”
Whatever those canny Ferodo marketing fellows paid for it, it was worth it.
Anyone know of any more Ferodo bridges? Come on, all you bridge enthusiasts.

2 comments:

  1. I spotted this one last week:

    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/189865

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one in Ipswich too. I've also tried to compile a mini gallery over the last few years:

    http://www.freston.net/stuff/ip-ferodo.html

    ReplyDelete

Followers