Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cautious optimism

I’m feeling strangely positive after my holiday. Rejuvenated, you might say. I think it’s down to all the fat people I saw while in the US. They've done wonders for my self-esteem. Presumably in the same way that an American visiting here would get a lift from their dental hygiene.

My new-found optimism is looking like it could go well into a third day, which proves that one shouldn't underestimate the power of a holiday. You hear about creatives early in their career not taking any holiday in case they miss a good brief. Apparently Trevor Beattie did this and look what a damp squib his career turned out to be.

Possibly we’re the last to take our leave because we have this idea that we enjoy our job so much we can just keep going. It’s only when you take a break that you realise how badly you’ve been limping along. I normally average an impressive 2-3 ideas a week but by the end there I was down to about half an idea a week. You know you’re in trouble when you find yourself seriously considering your AD’s ideas.

Anyway, it’s good to be home. One kooky habit those Americans have is being friendly to strangers. It’s seriously creepy. Can’t tell you how glad I was to get back to London. Within 0.006 of a second on the underground some banshee with a suitcase jabbed me in the ribs then shouted at me for pushing and I immediately felt my whole body relax.

3 comments:

  1. Concerned colleagueJuly 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

    Optimism eh? So why were you holding your head in your hands yesterday then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was clutching my head and groaning in excitement at seeing you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you back then? I didn't even notice.

    ReplyDelete

Followers