Friday, January 16, 2009

Ad of the year?


I’m serious.
Twice now, people I’ve been with have laughed OUT LOUD at these ads. The first time, it was Mrs Realmenwritelongcopy and I assumed her hormones were still imbalanced from recently giving birth. Then, on the way home last night, my friend saw a bus side with the same image of a mechanic and the line ‘Call our crack team’.
“Call our crack team!” he laughed, “Genius!”
Needless to say, neither of these people works in advertising. Surely this is yet another example of how hopelessly out of kilter our judgment is? Any Creative Director would laugh you out of his office for this pun-tastic eyesore. And yet there’s nothing the great British public loves more. We need to get with the program.

Do you de-ice your windscreen with your shoe? Well, do you?

On a related note, I was browsing the Auto Windscreens website, when this caught my eye. Nationwide Autocentre research has found that the following objects are commonly used to scrape a windscreen:
  • Credit card (27%)
  • CD (12%)
  • Shoe (3%)
A shoe! I mean, really. That got me thinking about what kind of a shoe would actually be effective?

Too floppy.












Too sharp.












Hmmm, maybe.

The website goes on to point out that:

While such objects could prove satisfactory for clearing the ice from a windscreen, it is often better to take a more prepared approach.

In most cases, the best method to remove ice from a windscreen is to use de-icer and a purpose-made ice scraper.

That’s right, you heard it here first folks. The best method to remove ice from a windscreen isn’t actually a shoe, but de-icer and an ice-scraper. Well, I for one am glad I've given it some thought anyway. I hope you are too.

1 comment:

  1. On the subject of odd things used to remove ice from a windshield—a friend of mine would use his breath to de-ice his windshield. It worked too, until his lips froze to the windshield wipers. It turned out to be a pretty sticky situation.

    ReplyDelete

Followers