Friday, January 23, 2009

Spectrum ZX joy



Anyone who spent their childhood playing Jet Set Willy and Monty On The Run will shed a sentimental tear at this, the DVD loading sequence and menu for The IT Crowd first season.
I couldn’t get the sound to record when I did it on t’computer so I went back to basics and videoed the screen. No, I don’t have anything better to do with my time.
It’s strangely compelling viewing. There are loads more screens, I sat watching it for about ten minutes (see above) and there was no duplication. I don’t know if they recreated it from scratch and it was a huge job or they somehow just stuck their graphics into the old one.
Also, I can’t remember the name of the actual game they’re ripping off? Does anyone know?
Anyway, it’s a real treat and a good example of knowing your target market. And taking time to make something that could have been basic and dull into something that brings pure delight into the hearts of kids of the 80s everywhere.

2 comments:

  1. There was a whole string of games like this by Ocean and Ultimate: Knight Lore, Head Over Heels, Batman and my particular fave The Great Escape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks an awful lot like The Great Escape, but the TV(?) and fact it is in colour suggest otherwise. Pretty sure it was black & white pixels.

    Loved that game.

    ReplyDelete

Followers